Executive Chef Jared Hargreaves, Harvard Gardens Restaurant, Boston
(Makes one sandwich)
• Irish soda bread
• 4 ounces of thin sliced cooked corned beef
• 3 slices Irish bacon (a good smoked bacon will also work)
• 3 ounces cabbage
• 1.5 ounces of red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
• 1 ounce of stone ground mustard
• 2 ounces of a creamy blue cheese (I like Cashel Blue)
• 2 ounces of mayonnaise
1. Chop the bacon into small pieces and cook over medium heat in a flat-bottomed sauté pan, stirring occasionally.
2. Thinly slice the cabbage. When the bacon is starting to brown, add the cabbage followed by the vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar. Cook until the sugar is dissolved.
3. In a food processer, blend the blue cheese and mayonnaise.
4. Toast two slices of Irish soda bread.
5. Spread both slices of bread with blue cheese mayonnaise.
6. Place 4 ounces of corned beef on the bread and top with the warm cabbage-bacon mixture.
Place the remaining soda bread slice on the sandwich and enjoy.